Sunflower Mission's Dao-Le Scholarship Program was established in 2004. The Board created this program to provide financial assistance to the students attending the schools that Sunflower Mission has built and also students in the surrounding vicinities regardless of ethnicity, religion or gender.
In addition to the Dao-Le Scholarship Program is the Sponsor-a-Student Project, where recent high school graduates or college students are sponsored by a donor for a one-year commitment to fund their education expense.
The Sponsor-a-Student (SaS) Project seeks to encourage and motivate students to continue their education and to pursue opportunities available to them. Sunflower Mission awarded 452 scholarships to elementary, high school and college students in its first year. The number of scholarship recipients is increased to over 2200 students throughout the first three years.
The Dao-Le Scholarship Program is chaired by Rev. Dominic Chinh Pham in the United States, and administered by volunteers in Vietnam including Nguyen Thi Ngoc Hoa and Tran Thi Thanh Tam.
- Scholarship is for all students eligible per criteria, regardless of gender and religion
- Operation/Communication details to follow the formal document established by the Board of Directors
- Require verification of financial need, school attendance and academic grades where required
- Require tracking of progress of students over the years
- Effort must be made to ensure money goes directly to the parents of the students awarded
- This scholarship program could be expanded to include a mentoring program (high school and up) or pen pal(elementary) later. This serves to help bond and connect them to hope and life.